Sunday, February 26, 2017

Modern Quilting challenge

I always enjoy when my guild (McKinney Modern Quilt Guild) issues challenges to us. At our February meeting, we each chose a modern fat quarter from a bucket (we had each brought one to contribute). From another container, we chose a piece of paper with one of the elements of modern quilting written on it. The challenge was to go home & make something using the fat quarter and modern element.
I received this awesome Cotton & Steel print and the element "negative space". Fun! I decided to add in this dark blue peppered cotton for my mini quilt.

Out came my trusty graph paper. I quickly came up with this simple sketch:
After I fussy cut my fat quarter, my mini quilt came together pretty quickly:


The biggest challenge for me with negative space is that you have to make it interesting somehow! I'm not the best machine quilter, but I'm getting better at it. For this quilt I used some straight line quilting to echo the diamond shapes on the right side and some zig zags on the left side. 

I can't wait to see what my guild mates have done for their challenges! We'll be sharing them at our March meeting.


3 comments:

Debbie said...

oh this is a fun challenge!! Very nice.

Maria said...

You are sew clever Ellyn and I love what you made for your challenge..
Look forward to seeing what the other ladies create....

Ondrea said...

Trust you to come up with something so lovely. Looks great!