Friday, November 18, 2016

woven baby blanket

Hi It's me! Sorry for the blogging break. Just over 2 weeks ago I got a new knee and now I am walking without a limp and in very little pain! Amazing. I'll spare you the pictures of my most attractive scar.... let's just say my surgeon could use a few lessons in hand sewing. Seriously though, he did a wonderful job and I am most happy. And ready to get back to my crafty life...

Just before my surgery I finished up my very first handwoven baby blanket for a baby due next week. Silly baby, I guess no one told him the schedule. He actually arrived four weeks early. I finally got his blanket mailed off to him this week and I hope he enjoys it!

Since my loom is only 25 inches wide, I wove twice the length I needed for the blanket, cut the woven fabric in half and joined the two halves with hand stitching to make the size I needed (about 40"x45"). The yarn is a variegated acrylic baby yarn. It wove up beautifully, just a plain weave. The only problem I had was that the yarn would pick up a lot of static after several passes through the shed. I finally came up with a solution! I kept an unused dryer sheet handy and would swipe it down the length of the weft yarn every now & then. Worked like a charm!


I bound the two unfinished edges using a strip of quilting cotton, just like I do with my towels. It added such a nice finish to the blanket.

I learned a lot making this blanket. It's not perfect, but I do think it came out quite nice! 


4 comments:

Maria said...

Lucky baby boy to receive your lovely woven blanket...

That's great your knee nearly working perfectly again....

Chantal said...

It's lovely Ellyn. The color is really pretty. So glad to hear your knee is working well and that you are not in too much pain. Amazing really - just over two weeks! So glad you are back to crafting and stitching.

Ondrea said...

How lovely is that blankie!! You really are clever with everything you make. I hope you are fully recovered from your surgery now. Must have been painful.Angel hugs coming your way.

Made by Mrs Jones x said...

Pleased to hear you are recovering well. That baby is so lucky - thr blanket is lovely.