Sunday, June 19, 2016

rainbows

We've had a fun week at the Z house. In addition to Father's Day today, hubby had a birthday and we will celebrate an anniversary this coming week. Lots to be happy about! For hubby's birthday I decided to make him a mini quilt with his word of the year on it. When I saw Quiet Play's paper pieced squirrel pattern I knew it was perfect!
I had so much fun making this! It's all done in grunge from my stash (I had won a charm pack of grunge at a guild meeting months ago and many of the squares were perfect for this project!)
It was a one day project, start to finish (well, except for hand sewing the binding! I finished that up at Crafty Tuesday the next day). The pattern is fantastic and a good "advanced beginner" paper piecing project.

While I was in rainbow mode, I whipped up several heart blocks for the Modern Quilt Guilds Quilts for Pulse. Our guild hopes to assemble at least one complete quilt to contribute to the effort to provide comforting quilts to survivors of the shooting along with families of the victims. When difficult things like this happen in the world, I always feel so helpless. I'm so glad to have a way to contribute to the healing process.

3 comments:

Debbie said...

yay for a fun week of celebrating! And a squirrel quilt of course!

Ondrea said...

Such happy and cheery colours. LOve that squirrel.

Maria said...

Lots of happy celebrating at your home this week. Lovely mini you made for hubby.
Such a lovely idea to make Heart Quilts for the folk who need a special quilt to snuggle under....