Sunday, April 6, 2014

learning something new

I like to do things that I'm good at, things that I've known how to do for a long time! I like to sit down to sew & zip through a project without thinking too much (and have it come out great!) Anybody else? Well every now & then it's healthy to step outside the old comfort zone and try something new. 

Yesterday some friends taught me to foundation paper piece. Mom had taught me once, years ago, and I never ever did it again after that. Let's just say it did not stick in my head! So yesterday I started from scratch. First, I made this simple block (just to build confidence and let me know I could indeed do this!)
 And then, are you ready? I tackled the paper pieced version of the Marcelle Medallion center! My friend Lisa had drafted it up for us and it worked like a charm!
I am so thrilled with my all-solids version of this incredible block that I am going to move on and put the borders on it. Yay! AND I am NOT going to let this new skill slip away like I did last time (sorry Mom!).

Have you tried anything new lately?

4 comments:

Sally said...

Your blocks look awesome! The "newest" thing that I've tried is english p.p. When I was at quilt retreat, one of the others had a die cutter to cut the fabrics (I already had the papers), so I've been going to town on them (well, if ~20 1" hexies in 3 weeks can be called going to town…). Anyway, once I finish up these hexies, I'm going to try out some different shapes.

Patchwork Mummy said...

Wow how amazing are those blocks! I've just tried EPP this last week. I started with a little kit that came with a magazine which had hexies in and have just made a butterfly as a pattern test for a fellow blogger. I really enjoyed making the butterfly but it was well out of my comfort zone.

Afton Warrick said...

Any chance you'd share that second block's paper-piecing templates, with your friend's permission? The blocks look great. You're a paper-pecing natural.

Kristin said...

Congrats on an awesome start (restart?) to paper piecing! I find it to be rather addictive. I love your work. :)