Monday, September 9, 2013

a little dress (a pattern review)



I can't believe it was four years ago that I told you about my brand new niece Mackenzie. Four years! And now she is a darling, precocious birthday girl. I had to make her something to wear to school and church. Bright colors seem to suit her personality (ok, maybe it's just me forcing bright colors on everyone? So be it). Here's what I decided to make....
And a big bow in the back...

The pattern is Simplicity 1595. It's a darling pattern. But....
 I continue to be discouraged by the quality of the pattern writing for the major pattern companies. This dress has lots of gathers and ruffles. If you follow the pattern directions, all of the raw edges are left exposed! I can only imagine the mess this would be after one trip through the laundry, can't you. So, before I even began, I pretty much rewrote the pattern directions.

Luckily I had plenty of fabric. I created facings to cover the raw edges at the bottom ruffle and did the same at the bottom of the sleeves...

I made a facing to cover the raw edges at the waist, where the top and the bottom are both gathered into the midsection (oh the threads that little facing encases!)...
 I added a little ribbon tag so Mackenzie can tell the back from the front....

 Happy Birthday Mackie!



5 comments:

Sally said...

This is dress is adorable! Ever since getting a "taste" of the non-big box patterns, I almost never buy from the big-box companies.... you're right, the directions just are not as good, especially with the finishing.

I highly recommend the Oliver + S patterns. The only downside is that the are expensive, so you definitely want to trace the size you want to use (Whereas the big box ones are always on sale, so I don't feel bad if I need to go and buy another). I have quite a few of the Oliver + S patterns, even a bunch that are "retired". If you ever want to try one, let me know and I'll send it to you to borrow and you can send it back when you are finished!

Maria said...

What an adorable dress for your adorable niece.. Mackie will love the pretty dress Aunty Ellyn has made her.Can't believe she is already four.....
When I used sew all my kids and than GCs clothes I used "quick sew" patterns that you traced to the suitable size from a big sheet.. Always great patterns with good finishes.

Melissa said...

It is so precious on her!

Lisa said...

Gorgeous dress! I do agree with the big name pattern brands, the finish sometimes isn't the best, I hate having raw edges, especially with the kids where things are worn and washed so frequently.

Anonymous said...

I have a question...I am trying my hardest to do this pattern but I am having problems understanding how the sleeves go together....I am great at my own creations but sleeves have always givin me a problem please help!!! thank you :)
anjalee033@yahoo.com