Saturday, June 9, 2012

lil twister ruler

Two friends of mine had both made quilts using the lil twister ruler. They were so cute! So I decided I needed to give it a try. I picked up the small ruler, for use with 5 inch squares. Pulled out some squares I already had precut, left over from my lime and gray swap blocks. Step one... sew the blocks together with 1/4 inch seams....
 Now you add a 3 inch border. I decided a black border would make it pop...
Now the cutting begins. This is the tedious part! I think if I do one again, I will clear my kitchen counter so I can walk all the way around to cut. See how you place the ruler on each intersection of four blocks?
 Here's a closer shot. The ruler has the lines drawn on it that line right up with your seam. Easy peasy!
 Twist the blocks, sew them back together... and will you look at that! Adorable.
I did add a wider black border onto the finished topper to frame it out. I'll show you once I quilt & finish it. What fun! What quilting ruler/tool is your favorite?

4 comments:

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

You can do that or use a smaller rotating cutting mat. Big help. Very cute!!

Robin said...

I love the fabrics you chose! Very striking!

Kerstin said...

The black really does make it pop. Nice fabric choice!

Beth said...

That is so cute! I hadn't heard of that ruler - ill have to try that technique.