Tuesday, May 29, 2012

the Bebe dress: pattern review

As soon as Kay Whitt posted a preview of this pattern on her blog, Serendipity Studio, last month, I knew I needed to buy it and make at least one! There are several awesome variations (go ahead and look now! I'll still be here when you get back). Cute, yes? And you get all the sizes in the pattern so I could make the smallest size for my sweet Leigh Anne, one a bit longer for miss Ally and even a, um, slightly larger size for me! Awesome!
 I did in fact order the pattern from Kay's shop the day she made them available (neurotic, I know!) and it arrived very quickly. While Leigh Anne was here she chose fabric for her dress, and today I finished it up!
I think it turned out darling! I followed the pattern exactly and it was easy to follow. The details are great, lots of finishing details, etc. The only thing I had an issue with was the invisible zipper. Mine is, um let's say, NOT invisible! I have tried and tried to do these before and have never been able to get it right. Sigh. I do believe if (WHEN!) I make this pattern again I will use a regular zipper and put it in my own way. I guarantee you it will be more invisible than this one is!

Nonetheless, this is a terrific pattern and I think you all should  make one.

Happy Tuesday!

7 comments:

Maria said...

I am sure Leigh-Anne will love her new dress. She chose nice summery fabric.
Looking forward to seeing the other dresses.

Sally said...

Leigh Anne's dress is definitely adorable! There were some equally adorable ones at that link. It almost makes me want to make one, except that I hate trying to garment sew for myself, especially something fitted. I don't want to have to make all of the modifications :(

Lisa said...

Looks gorgeous and I love the fabric and trim... bonus being able to get dresses for everyone out of it too!

Melissa said...

Oh so cute - I love the colors, of course. What a great summer dress.

Anonymous said...

Don't you just LOVE Kay Whitts patterns. I keep trying to do a blog so others can see how easy her patterns are, and how cute they all turn out, but I'm not doing so well. Its nice to see someone with blog skills that can post pics and tell everyone how awesome these patterns are.

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

So pretty! Can't wait to see the other 2 when you get them done.

SewHappyGeek said...

You did a great job! And I HATE invisible zips. I never use them - you can get regular zips in any colour so what's the point in faffing around with that awful foot (which never works...)

That's such a cool idea, letting you have all pattern sizes in one pattern. I'm definitely looking into that! Thanks for the review!