Sunday, September 4, 2011

Lemon Cupcakes

First off, a disclaimer. I am not, by any means, known for my baking skills! I could link back to some posts a year or more ago, when I was baking cakes for Ally to decorate for classes. You might remember that often I baked those cakes 2 or 3 times before I got them right. I will spare you the opportunity to reread them. Trust me, it was bad.

But when I saw these cupcakes on Pinterest, I had to try them! Gluten-free Lemon Meringue Cupcakes! Seriously? How could I not. Just so you know that all ends well with this story, here is proof: This recipe is not for the faint hearted baker! Honestly, someone like me has no business making these. None. However..... I decided to give it a go. First you bake the cupcakes. Simple, right? Umm no. Batch #1 overflowed the pan and turned into a giant cupcake blobby mess. Lovely. Cupcakes take 2. I cleaned it all up & made them again, adding less baking powder and baking soda (I had not realized that the gluten free flour mix I had used already had some of these in it!). These cupcakes came out great!

Next you make lemon curd with fresh lemon juice in the microwave. This step was surprisingly easy! After it cools, you cut out a well in each cupcake & fill it with lemon curd. I have to tell you, I was half tempted to gobble them up right then & there! But I didn't.

Next step, meringue frosting. I decided to bring in the big guns for this one. Ally actually made the meringue & piped it on top of the cupcakes. Then I took a kitchen torch (ok, it was one of those lighters you use to light you grill! but it worked) and browned the tops of the cupcakes. Look how pretty they are!

Ally said I needed a picture of the "ugly" cupcake! I would rather refer to it as the "lumpy bumpy cupcake" LOL!



I have tried them and they are delicious! So there you have it. I doubt I will put myself through this process again, but it was fun and worth it! I will be enjoying lemon cupcakes for a few days. Yum!

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh, those turned out wonderful! I'm not a big fan of lemon, but just looking at those makes me want to try one.

I finished the book for Tuesday and am planning to be there - how about you?

Lisa said...

Hmm they do look delicious!

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

Good job! They look wonderful!

Sewjoe said...

I am not always able to post comments on your blog. I think it has something to do with blogger. Oh well, I am catching up today. You are brave to attempt these...too many steps for me. They turned out beautiful if you can call food beautiful!