Wednesday, May 4, 2011

storybook quilt

Our quilt guild does a neat project called Storybook Quilts. They purchase children's books that have something to do with quilts/quilting. A guild member chooses a book and makes a small, lap quilt to go with the story. Then, we send the quilts & books out to the local elementary schools, along with activities that the children can enjoy when they hear the book read. From what I hear, the children pass the quilt around while they listen to the story! I chose a book a long time ago & finally finished my quilt to go with it. My friend, Carol, quilted it for me and I just stitched on the binding this afternoon! Now it is ready to be turned in to the guild, but I thought I would share it with you first.

This is the book that goes with it. In the story Star Blanket, little Laura has a special quilt that brings her comfort at night. It has a star on it to represent each member of her family. She sits on her bed with her dad every night and goes through the stars, naming each family member, aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents and so on. I thought it was such a sweet story!


I just wanted you to know that I have indeed been sewing! What are you making these days?



5 comments:

Sewjoe said...

Maybe I can get mine done by next week. It has been in the "to be quilted" pile for months. This year I am getting all my tops quilted one way or another!!

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

What a sweet idea. I haven't been doing much. I put together some pillowcases. Very boring but just keeping busy. I need to get back to my other quilt blocks but they just aren't "talking" to me right now. I'm not feeling it.

Maria said...

What a lovely book and your quilt is just gorgeous.

Sally said...

This is a great idea! I love the quilt that you have made to go with the book. These will surely be well loved {or well fought over :-) }

Kim Hansen said...

This is a great idea! I love the quilt that you have made to go with the book. These will surely be well loved {or well fought over :-) }